Sunday, July 06, 2008

WALL-E in Dallas

This fourth of July weekend, my family actually did something. We decided to spend a good portion of it in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, staying at Jason's place. We left Friday morning and got there at noon (it took a little over four hours - and I thought the two hour or so drive to Austin was long) and we came back this afternoon. It was nice, especially since I hadn't seen Jason since the week of my birthday and it was a nice change, as we haven't done anything for July Fourth in years as a family. Among some of the things we did was go to:

  • The Japanese Botanical Garden in Fort Worth (it was pretty, but I was sweating so much I appeared to be melting... Oh! The are SO MANY Koi there. It was fun feeding them. :))
  • There was some park that we went to (it's across the street from the gardens) and I think it's called Trinity Park or something, and we stayed there and watched fireworks before going back
  • Went to the corner of Elm and Houston, where J.F. Kennedy was assassinated (it was pretty neat and there's actually an X in the road where he was when he was shot) as well as the memorial to him one block over
  • Ate at a Vietnamese restaurant one night (I forgot the name of the place), and a Indian-cuisine-influenced vegetarian restaurant, Cosmic Cafe
  • Went to a fountain layout deal in front of a tall building in downtown Dallas and I dipped my legs in one of them (there's also an area that had water spouting up at random times and I would have gone if I had a change of clothes) - the water was REALLY cool. :) VERY nice.
  • Went to the mall that was about five minutes from his house (boy was it big) and we watched WALL-E
  • Went to Korea Town (Royal Lane) and then to Super H-Mart, a Korean supermarket, before we came back
I have to say that I enjoyed it all immensely and I was sad to see it end. :( Oh well, I still have a month or so left before I go to Beijing... I can see Jason at least one more time till I go! Now... for WALL-E...




It was actually a VERY good movie. I went in only knowing it was a Pixar production and it was about a lonely robot named WALL-E (official site) who falls in love with a robot named EVE. I thought it was going to be all right, but I ended up falling in love with the movie. ^_^ It was very cute and endearing and adorable and very possible. It has the question of what might happen when Earth runs out of room for our trash/waste (and it works in a sense since we're under the threat of global warming), the whole notion of love, etc. Very well-rounded. :) I have a feeling I will want to buy this when it comes out.

No comments: