Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hua Pi (Mainland China)


The day before I came back to Austin, I watched Hua Pi (Painted Skin/Simplified Chinese:
画皮) [imdb; Variety Movie Review; wiki], a Chinese movie with Mainland China actors and actresses and with a Hong Kong tech-crew (Variety). It stars Donnie Yen, Zhou Xun, Chen Kun, Vicki Zhao, Sun Li, Qi Yu Wu, and Jiu Song. This movie's actually set back in a Dynastic China and has supernatural/fantasy themes - some might even say it touches upon 'horror' - at least that's what I heard before I watched it. Here's the summary (taken from wiki):

Though the story is based mainly on a supernatural premise, it is more of a love story rather than a ghost/horror film. It is based on Pu Songling's classic novel, Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio. Zhou Xun starrs Xiao Wei, a fox spirit (huli jing) that feasts on human hearts in order to maintain her lovely, youthful appearance. When General Wang Sheng (Chen Kun) 'rescues' her from a band of bandits and brings her home, trouble brews as the demon falls in love with the general, who is married to Pei Rong (Zhao Wei).

Another (older) love triangle is present, between the general's brother Pang Yong (Donnie Yen), the general, and his wife. Pei Rong asks Pang Yong for help as she suspects Xiao Wei for what she really is. Pang Yong is aided by an inexperienced 'demon buster', Xia Bing (Betty Sun). Hints of a developing relationship between Xia Bing and Pang Yong are there, although this is never really explored. Another subplot revolves around Xiao Wei's lizard demon ally (Qi Yuwu) who has unreciprocated feelings for her and helps her get all the human hearts she needs.

Even though it started off with a battle, it was a little slow-going, but it set up what would happen later on. It was only through the middle of the movie did I get hooked into it. It wasn't the greatest, but I certainly don't think it a waste of my time. There is an underlying romantic theme in it (or two) and the special effects pass. I mean, it did do well in the Chinese box office (I remember seeing posters promoting the movie) and it's not bad at all. I guess it's also because I watched the version I bought from China and it has simplifed Chinese characters. Also, the audio wasn't that good at times so I had to rely on what I knew of Chinese to figure it out - but that may be because I bought the DVD at one of those places. :) Anyway, before you decide to skip this movie, just give it a go.

No comments: