Monday, April 26, 2010

Stage of Youth


Stage of Youth (青春舞臺/Qing Chun Wu Tai) is a January 2009 Mainland Chinese drama starring Han Geng (from Super Junior and Super Junior-M), Joey Yung, Huang Yi, Kenny Kwan, Yumiko Cheng, Zhang Jun Ning, as well as a cameo appearance by the rest of Super Junior-M in the last episode. The summary (taken from here) is as follows:

Xia Lei (夏磊) is a young man who loves to dance. His father is a top archery athlete and because Xia Lei's mother passed away, he missed the opportunity to compete in the last Olympics. His father wants him to follow in his footsteps, yet Xia Lei only has a passion for dancing. After going through conflicts with his father, meeting constant challenges and tribulations, and gaining determination, he finally reaches his dreams and becomes the new generation of dancing stars.

I've actually been watching another drama on and off but I've also been busy with school. HOWEVER, at the same time, I've become increasingly enthralled with Super Junior. ^^ So when I found out that a member of the group was in a drama, next thing I know, I found myself looking for said drama, and here I am. Anyway, dramawiki has this listed as a romance, but honestly? It isn't. :] There does seem to be some unrequited love floating around and we'll leave it at that. It's also a mere 12 episodes long and is done for Chinese-Korean relations as well as for the Olympics.

Anyway, everyone's Chinese accent is different with Han Geng and Huang Yi (and Zhang Jun Ning, but he's only there half the time) having the only Mainland/Beijing accent and it sometimes threw me off - turns out it makes sense since everyone else is from Hong Kong. You get used to it though. Anyway... I didn't expect too much out of this since I was merely watching it for Han Geng and the fact that Super Junior-M was guest staring (but only at the very end -__-) - and to practice my Chinese. However, I admit that I still came back for more. ^^ The plot is pretty interesting but I honestly don't get how a 2-person duo turned into Super Junior-M (why didn't they all star in it???), but I suppose. You do get a glimpse at how hard it is to make it big. There are the usual conflicts except this time, it's between the father and son instead of coming from some sort of romance (though there is a smidge of that). You do see a lot of dancing, photography, and archery. The singing only comes at the end. I have to say that Geng's acting isn't all that bad either. So yay! The people are also very nice to look at. :)

You can watch it at DramaCrazy, but half of them (mainly the last few) aren't subbed in English quite yet.

No comments: