Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Jdorama: Yasha



I've watched this particular drama several months ago and I just finished watching it for the second time just now, and I don't know why it's taken me this long to blog about it. I came across it whilst I was desperate for a new drama to watch so I came across a site titled Jdorama which had a nice section of Japanese dramas and features and I came across this drama, titled Yasha [夜叉] (or the drama wiki version if you prefer that). The direct quote from the summary online is (I just corrected some pluralizing mistakes that seriously bugged me):

The story is about a set of twin baby boys who were created/cloned in the laboratory as a part of gene altering/gene therapy experiment, because of the nature of the project, the twins were born with superior physical strength, supernatural power and extremely high IQ. Unfortunately, the twins were separated at birth. One of the brothers grew up to be an elite biochemistry scientist in an America. He was assigned to a project where he had to travel to a small island in Japan to investigate an unidentified virus that was spreading on the island. By a freak of nature, he accidentally found out that he has a twin brother........whose evil, dark personality is entirely opposite of him. What is going to happen when they finally meet face to face?

They will soon found out their true identity.........why were they separated at birth, what other secrets were hidden from them...... does the fast spreading virus has anything to do with the twin boys? who created the twins? and why? Do not miss the suspenseful thriller..... it will keep you wanting more....

It stars Ito Hideaki [伊藤英明] who's not bad at all in the looks department - a bit old, though one wouldn't think it if you went by his looks alone - and quite talented, if one were to go by his performance in this drama (he played the twins, Sei and Rin). Half the time, I found myself thinking of the two as separate people, which is pretty good, considering they were played by the same exactly person. I did watch him in the drama First Kiss (2007), but as he didn't play the main role, I didn't know if he was good but this one proved it! Along with Ito, there's also Abe Hiroshi (阿部寛) as his bodyguard, Kurosaki Ken, and Kashiwabara Shuji (柏原収史) as his best friend, Moichi.

The drama had a good plot with a very nice background story that you find out in throughout the entire story that's made up of 11 episodes. It also has a nice mixture of everything: family, love, betrayal, death, etc., with a good moral. It had a nice amount of action as well (I mean, it is an action/mystery drama). ^_^ I can say one thing: I finished it in 2 nights because I just couldn't stop! I would have finished it in a day if I didn't need to attend school... but I needed to.

No comments: