Thursday, October 08, 2009

Ghost Friends


Ghost Friends (ゴーストフレンズ ) is a 2009 Japanese supernatural, romantic, comedic drama. It's also noted as horror for the topic of ghosts and death... but nothing really bad. It's pretty PG, in my opinion. :) It stars Fukuda Saki, Nishijima Takahiro, Iriyama Noriko, Irie Jingi, and Katase Nana. The synopsis is as follows:
A comedy story about a teenage girl who runs into mysterious happenings through her communicating with ghosts. Asuka suddenly develops her supernatural ability after her traffic accident. While trying to help make ghosts' wishes come true, she falls in love with a mysterious guy named Kaito who turns out to be an incarnate ghost.
I decided I was on a roll with relatively short (10 episodes) Japanese dramas on supernatural topics. I actually would have finished this last weekend but for the last episode which didn't get subbed until last night... where I took a nice break while studying for my quiz today. :) Anyway, it started pretty tame and normal-like and then everything took a turn for the strange. It went through questions of death and regret but there are also light hearted moments that even border on ridiculous - but there's a fair amount of balancing between the two. As for romance, there's a sprinkling here and there, but it's a constant underlying theme but nothing really serious and it doesn't really overtake the entire plot, which is sort of refreshing. The last episode ended fairly realistically as well and I found it a bit bittersweet - I'll leave it at that. :) There is a sort of epilogue thing that went on so the audience gets to know what happens. Amazing how in 7 years, she still looks the same... ;)

Also, I don't know about you guys but the main character (played by Fukuda Saki) reminds me of a Japanese Hilary Duff... well, while she was in her Lizzie McGuire years.

You can watch it at either Drama Crazy (you can choose the videos) and MySoju.
Picture from Crunchyroll.

No comments: