Friday, October 09, 2009

Baby and I


Baby and I (아기와 나) is a 2008 comedic Korean movie that centers around family - more specifically, a high school student who suddenly finds himself a single father. It stars Jang Geun Seok, Kim Byeol, and Moon Mason. The synopsis is as follows:
Jun-su is a popular but rebellious 19-year-old. One day, his parents give him an ultimatum, leaving him alone in the house to rehabilitate his life. He doesn't mind the independence until a six-month-old baby Wooram is delivered to his doorstep. He has no choice but to care for Wooram and attend to his demand for breast milk. Where can he find a nanny?
I wanted a comedy, so I decided to watch this. What really struck me was how this movie focuses on a male single parent instead of the 'usual' female single parent. Also, I would like to point out that I like babies (just far away from me) but the little kid who played the baby was absolutely adorable (turns out his father's Canadian and his mother's Korean)! Anyway, the entire movie does not focus on Jun-su finding breast milk for his new-found baby. Well, it does start out like that, but it's mostly on the trials and tribulations he goes through as well as how it changes him (for the better, in my opinion) and the growing relationship between baby and father.

And, well - there's a little twist that's thrown towards the end as well. The girl genius who has a crush on him was sort of random but helpful and though there's a one-sided romance from her end, it wasn't really acted out until the end. What also really amused me was how parents and children usually end up dealing with the same things - they are related, after all. :)

I pretty much like this a lot and it was cute, funny, and it touched on some serious themes as well.

You can watch it at either Drama Crazy or MySoju.
Picture taken from HanCinema.

No comments: