Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Darling is a Foreigner


My Darling is a Foreigner (ダーリンは外国人/Daarin Wa Gaikokujin) is a 2010 Japanese romantic comedy film based on a manga of the same name written by Oguri Saori, based on her own life experiences with her foreign husband. It stars Inoue Mao and Jonathan Sherr. The following is the synopsis:

"My Darling is a Foreigner" tells the quirky story of a Japanese woman and an American man as they enter into a relationship and eventually marry. Saori is a manga artist. She meets language geek Tony, who has arrived in Japan after falling in love with the language. As the couple become closer, Saori is inundated with strange questions about the language from Tony. Are these weird questions a trait of his foreign background? Or is it because of his linguist preoccupation? More importantly, can their relationship survive?

I heard of the film early last year and I'm happy that I finally got to watch it. :) I love how the story is told, seemingly with parts of it in a documentary-type format with a few other real life (?) mixed couples amidst the story of Saori and Tony. It's really cute and I'm pretty impressed with Sherr's Japanese, though from what I saw, he is based in Tokyo so it would make sense. It was a little shorter than I expected (only 6 parts on dramacrazy) but it does a good job of going through realistic problems that may occur between a couple from different cultural backgrounds as well as things that may occur regardless of racial/cultural differences within the time allotted. I also love how the term "foreigner" is seen as something to be displaced - after all, the word "foreigner" is generally used for the minority group, so it's interesting to see it change when Saori meets his family and is, in turn, the foreigner. But then you see the line blur a bit when the two sides come to the middle as they take steps to accept one another.

I especially love what Saori's mom said about being foreign doesn't mean that a relationship wouldn't work, since being in a relationship is about compromising. Well, she said something that amounted to that, haha.

All in all, this is now a favorite of mines (so cute!) and all I have to say is that you must watch it!

You can watch it here.

No comments: