Saturday, May 08, 2010

Hear Me


Hear Me (聽説/Ting Shuo) is a Taiwanese romantic movie that was released in August 2009, coinciding with the Deaflympics. It stars Eddie Peng, Ivy Chen, and Michelle Chen Yan Xi. The synopsis is as follows:

Cheerful delivery boy Tian Kuo delivers lunch boxes to a local hearing-impaired swimming team. He holds a torch for hearing-impaired cutie Yan Yan, who's often at the pool to cheer on her older sister Xiao Peng. Yang Yang wholeheartedly supports Xiao Peng's dream of competing in the Deaflympics, even if it means working multiple jobs and giving all her time to her sister. Yang Yang slowly falls for Tian Kuo's goofy charms, but the burgeoning romance opens a rift in the sisters' relationship.

This movie is full of everything: drama, love, and laughs. Oh, and a slight hint of angst. A majority of the dialogue is in sign language, so it took me a while to get used to silent dialogue and it got to the point that when background music came on, I was slightly startled. O_o So yes, subtitles are a must. Also since some lines are in Taiwanese and I believe one line was in Cantonese. However, love blossoming between two people using only sign language to communicate is pretty interesting. Honestly, the somewhat silent nature of half of the film gave me a glimpse as to how life could be if one lost one's hearing.

But anyway - it's amazing how much emotion can still be conveyed even if it were all communicated through hand motions and facial expressions - I give all the actors and actresses props for that. I also love the twist at the end of the film and I will say nothing more on that note. ^^ I rewatched that part three times before I could move on, haha.

You can watch it here.

No comments: