Tuesday, January 13, 2009

2 Faces of my Girlfriend



2 Faces of my Girlfriend (두얼굴의 여친) is a Korean movie of the 'romantic comedy' genre (with a bit of melodrama thrown in) released in 2007, starring Bong Tae-Gyu and Jeong Ryeo-Won. The summary (taken from here) is as follows:

Gu-chang (Bong Tae-gyu) is 30 years old, still in college, unemployed and leeches of his family. Worst yet, Gu-chang has never had a girlfriend or even kissed a girl before. His friends are aware of his situation and usually has Gu-chang appearing as the butt end of their jokes.

One day, Gu-chang falls asleep on a subway, after a night of drinking. When he wakes up, he sees a girl (Jeong Ryeo-won) that he mistakes for a ghost. The girl isn’t a ghost, but works as an extra in a horror film. She’s on her way home, after becoming ill on the set of the film. Gu-chang doesn’t know this and immediately runs away from her. He drops his cellphone, which the girl picks up.

They eventually do meet again, but in a more typical circumstance and seem to get along well. Even more remarkable for Gu-chang, is that the girl seems to take an interest in him. She introduces herself as “Anni” and thus, Gu-chang and Anni’s budding romantic relationship begins. Unfortunately, when the couple spends an evening drinking, “Anni” suddenly takes a whole new personality, a rough talking brute like person that likes to fight. Gu-chang slowly comes to the realization that Anni suffers from multiple personalities.
I actually watched it because it was one of the top movies listed at MySoju so I decided to give it a try. It focuses on love blossoming between a guy who has no experience and a girl who has MPD and all the troubles (and laughter) that comes with it. I actually enjoyed it a bit and it made me laugh and I admit it squeezed a tear or two out of me at one point. All in all, I enjoyed it and I recommend it.

You can watch it here.

No comments: