Monday, August 03, 2009

Sweet and Sour "Chicken"

I have been craving Sweet and Sour anything. Actually, no. Not ANYTHING. Being a semi-vegetarian (with my only exception being sushi), it's hard to find sweet and sour anythings besides tofu. I love tofu and all, but sometimes, I'd like something harder for my teeth actually be of use... and soy protein. And so... I saw a recipe online using Boca's chik'n nuggets and I found a pretty good recipe for a sweet and sour sauce and I merged them together...

Sweet and Sour [Faux] Chicken
About 3 Servings

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 package (~10 oz.) of veggie chicken nuggets (or any other veggie meat)
  • About 2 cups of assorted vegetables (broccoli, red bell pepper, carrots, water chestnuts...)
  • 8 oz. of [fresh or canned] diced pineapple
Sweet and Sour Sauce
  • 1/3 cup of white or rice vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons corn starch mixed with 4 teaspoons water

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Bake the nuggets as directed on the package. Stir-fry your vegetables for a couple of minutes, then add the pineapple (drained, if you bought canned ones), and continue to cook until done. Add the fully baked nuggets to the vegetables. If you plan on eating it with rice, you can start cooking it now, as well.
  2. In a small sauce pan, mix together the vinegar, sugar, ketchup and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Stir in the corn starch mixture in order to thicken the sauce and cook for another minute.
  3. Pour the sauce onto the cooked vegetable (and pineapple) and nugget mixture and stir around to coat.

PERSONAL NOTES/COMMENTS:
  • Since I'm a college student, I brought a 16 oz. bag of frozen, assorted vegetables as well as a can of pineapples. It took me approximately 20 minutes to cook. I stir fried my vegetables with about a tablespoon of canola oil and baked my nuggets instead of sticking them into the microwave. Ah yes - I used the Morningstar brand of nuggets (10 1/2 oz.) instead because they were on sale AND I had a coupon for them.
  • I used a little more than 1/3 cup of vinegar, probably close to 1/2 cup of vinegar, in the sauce and I adjusted the rest of the ingredients by tasting it periodically. It ended up being the perfect amount for my veggies.
  • On the original recipe for the sauce, it's noted that using rice vinegar makes the sauce taste better. I can say that I loved the end product. Perfect tang and sweetness. ^_^

My first attempt with it still in the wok. And yes, there is a reason why I'm not a professional photographer of any sort. Plus, the quality of my camera isn't all that good... But it does the job. ^_^

No comments: