Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Sassy Girl


My Sassy Girl (엽기적인 그녀) is a 2001 highly successful Korean romantic comedy film. It stars Cha Tae Hyun and Jun Ji Hyun. The synopsis is as follows (taken from HanCinema):

Based on a series of true stories posted by Ho-sik Kim on the Internet describing his relationship with his girlfriend. These were later transformed into a best-selling book and the movie follows the book closely. As the film opens we are introduced to Kyun-woo, a kind-hearted but at times naive college student who seems to keep getting into trouble. On his way home one night he encounters a beautiful but completely smashed young woman who causes a scene in the subway, calls him "honey", and then passes out. With the eyes of the other subway passengers upon him, he has little choice but to take responsibility for her. Thus begins his relationship with the at-times charming, at-times violent damsel who steals his heart.

Much of the film is structured around the bizarre antics of Kyun-woo's newfound girlfriend. After she passes out yet again, Kyun-woo looks at her blissful face and promises to himself that he will save her, and right whatever it is that troubles her. This proves to be much more of a challenge than he expects.

Honestly, the only reason why I finished this movie was because it was my homework to do so for my Pop Culture class. That's not to say it was bad. The first time I watched it, I never went past the first 35 minutes - something just didn't reel me in. I don't know why exactly, it just didn't. I told my friends that and they told me it all came together in the end and so this time, I made sure I watched everything 'till the end. :) As the synopsis says, the film focuses on the strange relationship between a guy and a girl. It was funny and I experienced a good amount of second-hand embarrassment which made me cringe, but it was highly enjoyable. Even so, I did not get sucked in until the second half of the movie. Truth be told, I didn't even love it until the last "two parts" of it (because MySoju had it separated into 8 parts). Perhaps because it didn't make me feel involved and though I was watching it, I was merely watching it and doing so does nothing for the audience. Sure, they went into the most ridiculous situations and the girl was most amusing, but I suppose the further into the movie we got, the more we learned about her.

No, for some odd reason, I can't seem to string together the words in my head adequately enough to express my feelings for this movie. I agree with my friends: the ending certainly tied it together neatly with a neat little bow, though "tying it together" may not be the proper word choice. It was more like it concluded the film perfectly. It was sweet, it tugged at me, and I really want an epilogue. But I have to give it props for not being like every other romantic comedy; there was also a little something hanging over everything and I like that. Well, once I got over the first half. :) I have to say even though my start with this film was rocky, I'm glad I finished it and I can see the hype about it.

You can watch it at MySoju (because at DramaCrazy, the videos aren't working).

No comments: