Thursday, May 27, 2010

Down With Love


Down With Love (就想賴著妳/Jiu Xiang Lai Zhe Ni) is a 2010 Taiwanese romantic drama starring Ella Chen, Jerry Yan, Kelly Huang, Michael Zhang, Chen Zi Han, and Amanda Zhou. The summary is as follows:

Xiang Yu Ping, an expert divorce and inheritance lawyer, is seen by others as cold, selfish, and ruthless. After Yu-ping’s older brother dies in a car accident he has little choice in taking in his brother's two orphaned children, Fei and Ting. Every nanny he hires to care for them is either scared off by the mischievous children or ends up falling in love with him. Fed up, Yu Ping asks his secretary, Yang Duo, to find a nanny that meets his requirements. Having lost all their wealth when their mother passed away and being abandoned by their father after racking up heavy debts; Yang Duo can not ignore the fact that she needs the money and recommends her younger sister, Yang Guo, for the job; assuring Yu Ping that her tomboyish sister will not fall in love with him by lying that she does not like men at all.

This has been on my list of dramas to watch ever since I heard that Ella was going to star in a drama. And I finally finished it yesterday afternoon. I have no complaints when it comes to the acting although some of the characters seriously got on my nerves - but when is that something new when it comes to dramas? There were your normal ups and downs as well as comedic antics that occurred that made one go "aww" and any other variations of said phrase. There seemed to be people pairing off every which way and a main love triangle that just kept on adding people onto it that I almost got a headache when friends asked me about the drama - I'm just not good at explaining things - but I highly enjoyed it.

However, one thing I noticed was that none of the sites I went to were set on agreeing with the amount of episodes the drama contained; some said 16 whereas others listed 25 episodes for it. Then I remembered that while it was airing, some episodes were leaked and I also read somewhere that the leaked version was 28 episodes long but what was actually officially released totaled to 16. O_o I have no idea if it's right or not but either way, I think the fact that the drama was leaked rushed the ending. On that note, I'd like to elaborate and say I really loved the drama although it had its fair share of infuriating parts as per usual, but then it suddenly seemed to end and everyone came together in a happily ever after epilogue set 6 years later. Basically, it was rushed. I wish they could have spent some more time on the ending and perhaps even elaborated more and such on their courting and even the wedding ceremony itself instead of a kiss and then - bam! - she has a 4 year old son and is pregnant with her second child.

You can watch it at Drama Wiki (28 listed episodes but only works up to 16) and My Soju (16 episodes). Although the ending was a bit of a flop, I still recommend it. ^^

1 comment:

Sparks of Ember said...

I think the episode # confusion has to do with the Taiwan vs China airings - I'm pretty sure the episodes of usually cut in half and aired in 2 portions in China so they always end up with double the episodes.