Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Girlfriend is an Agent


My Girlfriend is an Agent (7급 공무원/7 Geum Gongmuwon/7-grade Civil Servant) is a 2009 Korean romance-comedy-action film reminiscent of Mr. and Mrs. Smith - well, if I've ever watched the movie, that is. :) It stars Kim Ha-neul, Kang Ji-hwan, Ryu Seung-ryong, and Jang Young-nam. The summary is as follows:

A Russian organized crime group is set out to steal an advanced chemical weapon from Korea and two secret agents are out to stop them. One is a veteran secret agent named AHN Soo-ji who is a master of all forms of martial arts and envied by her comrades. Another is a rookie named LEE Jae-joon who’s never been out on the field and always goofs up on the job. The two agents don’t know each other’s secret identity. All that they know is that they hate each other. As a couple that is... Soo-ji and Jae-joon were once a passionate couple until Jae-joon couldn’t take her lies anymore. But all Soo-ji was trying to do was hide her secret identity. Nonetheless, the two went on their separate ways and by coincidence bump into each other years later while out on the job. As the two work out their screwy relationship, they go behind each other’s backs to fulfill their mission to save the world.

I actually have to say the synopsis is pretty spot-on. Anyway, like I mentioned before, when I read a description of the movie, I was intrigued for it reminded me of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, or at least of what I thought it was about, having never had watched it myself. I like comedy and I like action - a little romance thrown in for fun doesn't hurt either - and so I was pretty enthusiastic about watching this. I got what I wanted as well. Despite the fact that they're supposed to be saving their country, sometimes things just happen at the most inopportune times (for her) or because of unfortunate decisions (him). It's cute and funny though sometimes makes me do a facepalm, because, really, if the intelligence service of my country actually ran like how it did in this movie, I'd be amazed it's still standing.

However, there is a fair share of action and violence that is interspersed with humor (i.e. losing a gun in a middle of a room full of "real" guns loaded with bb's and shooting bb's at each other while trying to find the real one) which got me cracking up on occasion. I do like the touch of real Russian actors/actresses as the villain, not because I see them as villains though they are usually portrayed as such, but because I've always liked the Russian language and how it sounds. Of course, I could only spot one word: spasiba meaning thank you. Oh yes, and the whole love and romance thing - it was utterly ridiculous and all the troubles came due to pure misunderstanding. -__- I hate that, but I suppose. It's also ironic how in the end, he's also lying to her as well for the same reasons. They also end up breaking up about three or four times. -dies-

You can watch it here.

No comments: