Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ryusei no Kizuna


For the Chinese New Years weekend, I decided to start and finish
Ryusei no Kizuna (流星の絆), a Japanese drama of the suspense and comedy genres. It stars Ninomiya Kazunari, Erika Toda, Nishikido Ryo, Kaname Jun, and Nakashima Mika. The summary is as follows:
Based on the popular novel of the same name, Ryusei no Kizuna tells the story of three orphans, whose parents were murdered long ago. Together, the three vowed on a shooting star to one day avenge their parents. After many years, the two brothers have found the murderers, and are set to carry out their plan for vengeance when they realize they've made a serious miscalculation; you see, their sister...
I honestly had to say that I didn't really know what to expect - mostly because of the three periods that follow "sister" in the summary. I did give it a try - I mean, I was familiar with the cast and the things that the summary did reveal perked my interest. The interesting thing was how a drama with such a dark background such as murder and the theme of revenge is interspersed with comedy. To me, I actually liked it a lot since, well, my sense of humor isn't very normal and I find many things funny. To others, it may be a bit odd, but it's not like the jokes are banter is made everywhere - the serious parts meant to be serious and the parts meant to be a little light are pretty entertaining. It did give me some good laughs. One thing though - Mika Nakashima's role is rather eccentric, odd, and out-of-nowhere, but it's sort of like a breath of fresh air since it's totally different from everyone else's character within the drama, so I sort of don't agree with some other reviews that mentioned something about her character being pointless or something.

Even though the drama was a short 10 episodes, I liked it a lot. The way things were progressing and all until everything unravels rather surprisingly at the end. I do recommend this drama (and yes, I do realise that I usually do say that for all the dramas I have watched - either that or to 'give it a go').


You can watch it
here.
I got the picture from here.

No comments: