Sunday, December 13, 2009

You're Beautiful


You're Beautiful (미남이시네요/Minami Shineyo) is a 2009 Korean romantic/comedic drama. It stars Jang Geun Suk, Park Shin Hye, Lee Hong Ki, Jung Yong Hwa, UEE, and Kim In Kwon. The summary is as follows:

Tae Kyung and On Yu are in search of a new member for their idol group, A.N.JELL. However, Mi Nam suffers an injury at the last moment. So Mi Nyu, his twin sister, is asked to step in for her brother. The rest of the drama follows the behind-the-scenes life of an idol group.

I've actually heard of this since it first came out because I listen to FT Island, of which Lee Hong Ki is a member, but when I first heard of the synopsis, my first thought was "...behind-the-scenes life of an idol group...?" Well, I finally caved in and as my first drama after over a month of being drama-less, I say it's a good pick. First, the actors (and actress) are not all that bad to look at. The OST just ROCKS (I immediately got hold of it after just the fifth episode and it's currently on my playlist). The acting is quite good as well. And the plot? Well, it seems like there are more and more dramas out there with a girl playing a guy (which is sort of ironic since historically, males played both female and male parts) but I like it. The whole "idol group" part of it made it different instead of having school as a setting. Of course, there are the mandatory cliche obstacles found in dramas and I was so fed up with [insert person's name here] that I fired off my mock gun at [insert person's name here] several times.

HOWEVER, I can guarantee a happy ending (big surprise), though with a large amount of twists and turns to finally get there. Park Shin Hye, who plays the twins, makes a good girl and guy. My sister actually got it right the first time and saw her as a girl, but the next time around, she totally mistook her for a guy - in fact, she went all "That guy in the glasses is SO CUTE." She's also adorable. All the guys have their trait characteristics and brings flavor to the story... although it's strange that [spoiler] they all end up liking her [end spoiler]. Anyway, I couldn't stop watching this even though half of it does scream of a generic drama and even though it took me a grand total of three days to complete, I blame it on the fact that amidst all this, I was packing and coming back home as well as hanging out with the family. And I was busy for half of today.

Favorite points:
(1) It made various parodies of songs with dance routines to go with it. ^_^
(2) It acknowledged the existence of fanfiction (or panpick). haha...
(3) I seriously love that scene in the market in Episode 11. That made me squeel.

You can watch it at either MySoju or DramaCrazy.Net and there's a total of 16 episodes.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Hi!

Just perused through your dramas, and I realized My Girl is not on there. If you liked Coffee Prince, I'd HIGHLY recommend My Girl! Equally funny and slow-moving (but in a good way...)

Ashley said...

Oh you do have My Girl! Silly me.

Sirhin said...

Oh wow - almost gave me a heart attack! lol... I was all thinking that I had watched My Girl. :)