Wednesday, June 10, 2009

1% of Anything


1% of Anything (1%의 어떤 것/1% eh uh ddun gut) is a 2003 Korean romantic comedy drama. It stars Kim Jung Hwa, Kang Dong Won, Han Hye Jin, Lee Byung Wook, Kim Ji Woo, and Kim Seung Min. The summary is as follows:

Kim Jung Hwa is a young and sincere middle school teacher, who has little interest in money. She is also extremely warm-hearted and loves to help other people. When she helps carry an elderly man's belongings from the train to another location, the elderly man is extremely thankful. This grandfather turns out to be the extremely rich owner of a well known conglomerate. His grandson, Kang Dong Won is a quick-tempered businessman who rivals his grandfather, but in an almost comical way. In an order to "tame" his favorite grandson, the grandfather agrees to give his entire fortune to the person who marries Kim Jung Hwa, therefore forcing Kang to meet the girl whom his grandfather chose. Although at first Kim and Kang don't get along because of Kang's extremely cute but bad temper, their arguments bring them closer together. Kang starts to get jealous when Kim's fellow teacher starts liking her too. Through the clever conditions that Kang's grandfather makes, Kang starts a relationship he does not look forward too. However, what looked like a relationship that would 99% not work out, turns out to be the "perfect" match, the 1% chance.

I watched it as something to take up the time while waiting for the next episode of Atashinchi no Danshi to come out. It was pretty popular on MySoju so I decided to give it a try - not to mention it sounded like it had potential. Honestly, it wasn't bad. It had it's cute and funny parts with the usual misunderstandings, but it was sort of drawn out (with a total of 26 episodes). I think it could have been cut a little shorter and been even better, but what I enjoyed about it was how not only did the story focus on just one main couple, towards the middle/end of the series, it started to expand towards other couples, instead of leaving them in the periphery.

However, I think that it sort of stretched itself thin. The main couple had already married, then we get a series of people getting married or having plans of getting married for the next five episodes or so. It's sort of overwhelming. I'm sure this kind of explosion of "wedding fever" might have actually happened somewhere, but to me, it's somewhat unrealistic even though they all have to go through some sort of obstacle, usually the parents' disapproval. In saying that, the end sort of took a nosedive though I didn't skip through it or anything. I was determined to see it till the end. Maybe all this is just me. I'm not saying I didn't like it - only it could be better, but don't take my word for it. Many others seemed to like it quite a lot. :)

You can watch it here.

2 comments:

Sparks of Ember said...

This sounds a bit like the currently airing drama "Brilliant Legacy" (aka Shining Inheritance). It's a somewhat similar reverse Cinderella story. I'm completely hooked at the moment - the first two episodes are slow but after that, you can't stop watching.

Sirhin said...

That's on my list of things to see! :) But I try to not watch dramas if they're still airing. I grow crazy! Sort of like how I am now, while waiting for Atashinchi no Danshi.

Thanks for the input though. :) I'll look forward to it.