Monday, December 15, 2008

Butterfly Lovers


Butterfly Lovers (武侠梁祝/Wu Xia Liang Zhu) is, in short, the Chinese version of Romeo and Juliet. A member of a Taiwanese boy band, Fahrenheit's (飛輪海), Wu Chun (吳尊) stars alongside Charlene Choi (蔡卓妍) of Twins. Hu Ge (胡) also stars as the other end of the triangle. Basically, I decided to watch this (I sort of watched it over a month ago) because (1) Wu Zun is in it and (2) I like tragedies so I decided to give this one a try. Even though it's a tragic romance, it has its funny parts and it's moving parts and the sad parts. I have to say, though, that the beginning seemed to be going at a reasonably fast pace for a movie but towards the end, it became slightly rushed. Even though, I have to say it isn't bad.

As for the summary, there's almost nothing online on this movie so the link is in Chinese, but here's a bit of background information on this, because it's not the first adaptation of it. Here's a somewhat short summary taken from that site (with some editing from me to make it somewhat shorter) - but a warning first! There are spoilers!:

It begins with a beautiful, intelligent young woman named Zhu Yingtai from Shangyu, Zhejiang, who is the ninth child and the only daughter of the wealthy noble Zhu family. After much effort, she convinced her father to let her disguise herself as a young man traveling to Hangzhou to study. During her journey, she encountered Liang Shanbo, a scholar from Kuaiji (會稽, Kuàijī, now known as Shaoxing), in the same province. They felt like old friends at the first meeting. Therefore, they gathered some soil as incense and took vows of brotherhood in the pavilion of a thatched bridge.

For the three years in school, they shared the same room where there was only one bed and two quilts. Yingtai slowly fell in love with Shanbo. Although being every bit Yingtai's equal in studies, Shanbo was a bookworm and did not see any traces of female characteristics in Yingtai.

Time flew by quickly but Yingtai got a message from home telling her to go back and she had no choice but to do so. Liang Shanbo, being Yingtai’s sworn brother, accompanied Yingtai for 18 miles to send her off. During the journey, Yingtai hinted to Shanbo that she was a girl. Even so, she made a promise she would only love him. When she came home, she realised her parents wanted to force her into a marriage with Ma Wencai...

I bought this movie in China, but it should be on MySoju. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also saw this but even though I was so excited. Seriously, I squealed, looked through various pages for info, it was really and sadly disappointing. While I love both main actors, the acting was bad. -.- Like, I was waiting for this big thing and it didn't even come close to my expectations. Sigh...