Sunday, June 20, 2010

Kimi ni Shika Kikoenai


Kimi ni Shika Kikoenai (aka Only You Can Hear Me and Calling You/きみにしか聞こえない) is a 2006 supernatural/romance Japanese movie starring Narumi Riko and Koide Keisuke. The summary is as follows:

Shy, quiet, and unsure of herself, Aihara Ryo (Narumi Riko) doesn't quite fit in anywhere. Though she wants to make friends, she has trouble speaking up and holding a normal conversation like everyone else. It seems that whenever she talks, the words just don't come out correctly. Gradually, Ryo has gotten used to living life in silence as a lonely and introverted student. With no one to talk to, Ryo also has no need for a cell phone. Longing for friends to talk to, she creates a cell phone in her mind for imaginary phone conversations, and much to her surprise, one day Shinya (Koide Keisuke) picks up on the other side. For the first time in her life, Ryo has found someone she can talk to
.
I decided it's been a while since I've watch a movie or drama, mainly because I was working full-time for the past two weeks, so I decided to break the monotony today and randomly browsed DramaCrazy and picked this. I didn't know what to think of this but it had potential to be really cute, so I decided to give it a go. Plus I like supernatural/fantasy things. ^^ I also admit the lead girl looked really familiar and I finally figured it out: she plays Aya's little sister in 1 Litre of Tears. Anyway, at first, the plot seemed pretty tame - an interesting friendship between an outcast and a guy who, although wasn't an outcast, wasn't exactly in the in crowd either. And honestly, you don't know his deaf-and-mute status until the very end - but I knew it because I like spoiling myself before watching something, not to mention the summary in DramaCrazy tells you - but it doesn't really mean anything since you don't need a voice to use telepathy.

Towards the middle, it grew on me and towards the end, I loved it. :) Their friendship starts to hint at something more - though it really doesn't go anywhere - and one more person is included within the whole mental telephone deal, though accidentally. This new person comes in from time to time, but there's a small secret/surprise within her role in the movie. And it all leads up to the growth and change of all the characters and how they all influence each other for the better (though we don't really see it until the very end) and the main climax is when the two finally meets one another. I will also say that something really big happens here. ^^ All in all, I enjoyed it, even though most of the dialogue was "all in their minds" but you soon get over it. Or at least it didn't bother me.

You can watch it here.

No comments: