Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sisterly Outing


Today, my sister and I decided to break the monotonous days of being students on Summer Break. We left shortly before noon to go to a place a friend of hers recommended her to named The Yogurt Spot. She heard they sold mochi there - we love mochi. It made a lot of sense so I did a little bit of researching on the place and I found out that it was generally a little store that sold unlimited amounts of yogurt (16 flavors, to be exact) with "over 30 different toppings." I was a little apprehensive at first when I noticed that the site did not say a thing about mochi - but I make it a point to try everything out. I was imagining little tubs in a buffet-style, island-type serving counter serving dollops of yoghurt. I love dairy products, that means I also have a liking for yoghurt, don't get me wrong - but a buffet-style yoghurt cafe?

The good thing is that it proved me wrong. The place had a nice quiet atmosphere and though the employees were not very interactive and stayed in the back until a new customer showed up or when they needed to pay, I really liked it. It seemed like a good hang out. What really got to me were the yoghurt dispensers - and the multitude of toppings one could choose! The yoghurt did not resemble the usual goopy yoghurt. It was frozen yoghurt and it was dispensed from ice cream dispensing machines - and they looked like ice cream in every way as well! The flavors ranged from the more original ones (chocolate), to ones for people with a mind for dessert (cheesecake), to others more open-minded - or just Asian - customers (lychee, mango), to those who like healthy choices (banana, blueberry, apple). The toppings were not lacking at all, as I've said before. There were the more healthy toppings (blueberry, strawberry, peach, jack fruit) to the ones that might not be very healthy (white chocolate chips, miniature gummy bears, brownie bits, cheesecake) all the way to the more neutral items (mochi balls, mango jelly).

The way it works was that you pick up a 16 ounce container and you fill 'er up! You had no limit on anything - BUT be forewarned: it is charged by weight. It's pretty decent of a price as well, about 32 cents per ounce, but it adds up. :) My sister and I got really excited. We ended up sharing one paper cup/container and ended up choosing: chocolate, cheesecake, taro, and green tea with toppings that included (from what I remember) miniature mochi balls (and LOTS of it), white chocolate chips, a single gummy bear for me (it has gelatin and my sister refuses to eat it), strawberries, cheesecake bits, and brownie bits. It amounted to about five dollars for a 72% full "cup". It was VERY good and though it mostly tasted like ice cream, it had the slight tang of yoghurt. On one of the walls, little healthy attributes of yoghurt were aesthetically painted.

After that, we went to get Matcha Green Tea Snow with Tapioca (very good) from Boba Zone and proceeded to go to the Fountains and walk it off. It was relatively boring to me until we finally got to BORDERS. I love bookstores and I hadn't been to one in a good while. I was in heaven. I proceeded to buy a cute little journal for $3.32 because it was on sale for 50% off and I suddenly had the idea to use it as a scrapbook/journal when on my trip to China so I can have something a bit more tangible to remember my experience with when I get back. The problem was that I found a beautiful novel based off the Death Note arc titled Death Note Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Case. The pages were beautiful, the cover was a hardcover and beautiful, and it was $17.99. I was crushed. Thoroughly. I thought, I have to have this book! So... I'm now ranting about it and I will shortly hunt for it over the Internet. Then, as if it couldn't get any worse, the store sold Death Note Wall Scrolls. And it was priced at a hefty $19.99. (I would like to mention how pointless I think it is to price something like that - why not just make it $20???) I was hating myself.

So... I had researched it online and found a number of wall scrolls that was was interested in. I actually found three that were reasonably priced. Unfortunately, logic is screaming at how I only want it - I don't need it - so I might as well save up for something else... like my trip to China, perhaps. Anyway, I hate how my mind does that sometimes. In an effort to calm the side of me that desperately wants the items, I will post them up here. The first one features the rule page on Ryuk (and therefore Yagami Raito's) Death Note and is at a decent $14.99 (aka $15 - plus shipping and handling, which makes it an unreasonable price). The second one stars both Raito and an upside-down L, with Ryuk looming in the background and is priced at $13.49. The third and last one consists of an L, crouching in his usual position, along with Raito, cast in a sinister red light, with a collage of various scenes as the background. This one is almost my favorite - but it's at $14.99. I suppose I will have to wait until I have my own place and I have enough money to spare to spend it on trivial (but very NICE and IMPORTANT) things.

Until later --

No comments: